Food, Culture, Beaches!!
It is hard not to love travelling in Asia - perfect beaches, tasty cuisine, low prices, and incredible cultural diversity.
In Southeast Asia the climate is mostly tropical with temperatures between 30-35 degrees Celsius year round with high humidity and very regular rain. There are cooler subtropical mountainous areas in the north. As you head north into Japan and West into China the temperature variation is much greater with very cold snowy winters.
Parts of Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines are on the equator and are either hot (dry season) or very hot (wet season) . Subsequently you can travel all year round in Asia with the Southeast most popular in the dry season between November to March, and China and Japan better in the summer months of May - September (unless of course you want to go skiing). Sri Lanka can be hit by monsoons so best time to travel is January to May or July to October.
Your choices of where to travel is endless and tours that you get you off the beaten track and close to locals are developing so fast in the region as capitalism takes hold. As well as being one of the fastest growing economies in the world Vietnam is a hot-spot for all types of backpacker travel. Laos is often combined with trips in and around Vietnam. Bali is the surf and beach capital of Southeast Asia and popular with every time of traveller. One of our favourites is the Phillipines. Made up of over 7,000 islands the people in the Phillipines have an incredible calmness about them which also a bubbling feel of romance and sophistication due to the Spanish influence.
Japan is a cultural mind-bomb from the high-energy of the main cities to the serene mediative nature of the countryside. Sri Lanka is such a diverse country from mountain ranges to incredible beaches. And finally, China - one could spend an eternity exploring China without even scraping the surface: rich in heritage, even region is almost it’s own country with such varying cultural identity, food and landscapes.
Things to include on your must-do list include:
- See the awe-inspiring temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia at sunrise
- Visit the continually erupting volcanoes of Mount Bromo in Indonesia
- Hangout in the laid-back Luang Prabang the former royal capital of Laos
- Climb the the mountains of Ifugao in the Philippines to see 2000-year-old rice terraces of Banaue
- The limestone cliffs, azure waters and perfect beaches of Krabi in Thailand
- Stay in the ancient trading port of Hoi An in Vietnam
- Go to Matale and climb the Sigiriya or Pidurangala Rock to see the ancient frescoes and enjoy a panoramic view of the area.
- Drive a Mario Go-Kart in fancy dress around the streets of Tokyo